Different Ways to Monetize a Blog without Using Ads

Hi there!

I wanted to check in with you guys to find out about everyone’s efforts in terms of using ways to monetize your blog without using advertising.

Personally, it is my goal to keep my blog completely ad-free, therefore I have been looking into different methods to monetize a blog without ads. Those include light forms of affiliate marketing, Buy Me A Coffee , Brave Rewards , and Coil . I collected the information in an article on my blog to share with others: https://consistentme.com/monetize-blog-without-ads

Are you aware of other methods? Have you seen any results from it so far and for what kind of content?

I would love to hear about it! :blush:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community, @consistentbenny !

I checked out your blog and read your post on monetizing without advertising. Very interesting, and I’m doing the same thing on my site; that is refusing to plaster it with those annoying ads.

Instead, I’m looking at alternative ways of generating revenue, and Buy Me A Coffee was the most appealing to me. I like much more than Ko-Fi and Patreon. You can’t do very much with Ko-Fi without paying for a membership, and Patreon just takes too darn much of what little revenue I could generate for myself.

Buy Me A Coffee offers so much more and, like you said in your blog post, the name of the service is much more appealing.

The only other revenue generating strategy I’m trying on my blog, which wasn’t mentioned in your post, is SwagBucks. This company deals with rewards points, which you then redeem for gift cards or deposits to your PayPal account. You can earn reward points by either doing surveys or by purchasing merchandise from associated sellers (like Amazon or eBay).

How it works as a revenue generator for a blog is by referrals. If someone clicks on the referral link I have on my site and signs up for the service, I get a small kick-back for every rewards point they make with their account. I’ve only been doing the referral thing for a couple of months so far. But, I have been using SwagBucks when making purchases on Amazon and eBay for a little while now and the cashback does add up.

I’ve claimed a few PayPal payouts and it’s kind of nice getting money back for purchases I would have made anyway. Whether the link on my website generates anything, however, is yet to be seen.

Anyway, that’s my experience so far. Of everything I’ve seen or tried, I think the most hope and potential lies with Buy Me A Coffee. I like the service very much.

6 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t hear about that yet. But then it is a form of referral program that helps you generate money from SwagBucks?

Do you have one article about it or how do people end up clicking the link?

3 Likes

It’s main purpose is a way for an individual to earn points/cash back on the purchases they regularly do every day on the Internet. However, you can refer people (by putting a special link on your website) to sign up for the service. And, if they use your link to sign up, you get the credit for it. Swagbucks then gives you 10% credit of what ever they earn (in Swagbucks) for as long as they have an account.

Here’s an article about it:

2 Likes

Got it, so it’s an affiliate program, what I mentioned in my article too.

Any other approaches you had results with aside from that?

2 Likes

No, that and BMC are the only forms of monentization that I’m trying at the moment.

3 Likes

Another option is selling ebooks, courses, or other digital content.

6 Likes

Yes, @PaoloAmoroso! Another great service that BMC provides! :smile:

4 Likes

Definitely a great idea for the long-term plan for every blogger. But for anyone starting out, building out the blog will be enough of a challenge, so creating a product on top might take a bit longer and requires more experience.

Should be on anyone’s list though!

3 Likes

I like your blog and it help me to think and make strategy to monetize my content.

3 Likes

Hi there, I tried the coil but sadly… I can’t use it together with stronghold… which is not supported in my country… best choice so far for me is BMC… simple and reliable…

4 Likes

Hi! :slight_smile:

You can still set up Coil, but in this case you would need to set it up to receive XRP (a cryptocurrency) for example with the XRP Tip Bot. After that, if you really want to have your earnings changed into USD or another currency, you can simply sign up for a cryptocurrency exchange of your choice (for example Binance, or another one that is available in your country) and manually exchange your XRP there and getting it paid out.

For me, receiving XRP is actually an exciting factor in this approach to web monetization and I am curious to find out if it reaches higher adoption, which might help it to increase in value as well.

3 Likes

A blog with enough content is a good start for putting together an ebook.

The early draft of mine was a collection of essentially blog posts. I actually originally published the posts on Google+, but I mostly used it as a blogging platform.

4 Likes

Thanks for the post. You give us a nice selection of options.

I’m curious about others current experiences with affiliate links. I’m seeing a drop off in Amazon link revenue as well as a decline in SEO success for my blog. It seems Google (and the rest of the world) are starting to give affiliate links a black eye. A few points:

• Articles that do comparison reviews and contain many affiliate links are getting sites flagged in page rank by Google as evidenced here.
  • Amazon seems to be driving content creators to build storefronts rather than use affiliate links.
  • Apple recently abandoned affiliate links for selling their apps.
  • I’m seeing dozens of spammy affiliate marketing course ads recently. I’m sure that will make affiliate links further suspect.

Thoughts? With Buy Me a Coffee beefing up offerings, I’m wondering if tips/subscriptions are the way to go for the future?

4 Likes

Greetings Benny! Yes, I have ideas. I am an entrepreneur with three brands that I’ve impressed upon a range of popular consumer goods. My personal designed line of coffee mug brought me to this web family.

I would be happy to explore the possibility of a business relationship with those who’d like to sell my products. We are the ‘Pugona Rock Club’. https://pugonarock.club/

Allen Kimble, Jr. & ‘Vinny the Pug’
pugonarockbaristaclub@gmail.com

3 Likes

I do believe that penalizing extensive and abusive usage of affiliate links is a priority for Google — and as I described in my article, for a good reason.

Affiliate links can be great when combined with genuine and honest content, but potentially harmful and frustrating when abused.

Does it really serve a relevant person interested to buy a new rowing machine, when he or she ends up on what seems like a dedicated information page about rowing machines run by a rowing machine enthusiast (according to the fake bio and combined with some stock image of a sporty person) with seemingly articles on all the questions someone could have about rowing machines — but the actual person not ever having used a rowing machine themselves and only interested in making money from Amazon affiliate? :thinking:

For sure not. It’s time for some change.

3 Likes

For me ( podcaster) I have found in this order:

1. Sell your own stuff (books, courses, webinars)
    Because these people know life and trust you and will pay premium for MORE of YOU.

2. Sell other people’s stuff.
I’ve had four-figure affiliate checks. It takes time to:
a) Know your audience
b) Find the right product

3. Crowdfunding
Sure its easy to pimp shoes on a running blog/podcast, but my show has inspirational stories. How do you sell inspiration? You can get a crowdfunding campaign going (or be a life coach and coach the uninspired which goes back to point 1)

4. Host Read Ads
Well, the whole point of this topic was ad-free… but with the right audience and the right company.

1. Dynamic Ads
    These are the awesome “Make money from day one people” who then pay you .0017 per download which means you make fifty one cents if you have 300 listeners. Ugh

6. Free Stuff
Don’t approach the sales deparment about getting a free item (their job is to sell you something). Go to the marketing department and ask (as their job is to get the word out). Be sure to read up on FTC rules so you don’t get in trouble and fully disclose what is happening.

The main point I always bring up in talks is crowdfunding starts with the word CROWD. It may take YEARS of consistently putting out valuable information to have a crowd large enough to make a car payment. More information

5 Likes

Spot on. The problem is that the whole affiliate link model seems to be headed towards marketers posing as creators in order to deceptively sell, as opposed to creators creating honest content and selling through links, but not as primary goal.

4 Likes

Exactly, and that is a big problem.

It is way too easy to fake information. Therefore my approach towards affiliate is absolutely only using it when I have used the product or service I am recommending myself and as I mentioned, only when I would do the same talking face to face to a person.

1 Like

You nailed it.

It takes an audience to build an audience. No matter what monetization strategies you pick, when starting out everything happens at a snail’s pace and nothing seems to work.

3 Likes