Goal Best Practices

I really like the Goal feature in BMC, as it connects supporters with what you are focusing on. However, I don’t know what to put as my goal, as a new writer. What goals can I set which are relevant to both supporters and myself, don’t require enormous effort on my part, and are small and not idealistic?

2 Likes

Well, one thing you might consider is using your contributions to buy/invest in the things that you write about. Like, if you do articles or reviews about software, then you could say the money you raise could go towards purchasing software from independent developers. Or, if you write about books that you read, you could put a goal to purchase published works from independent authors.

Sometimes, if others see that their contributions go to help others in the fields they’re interested in, it may encourage them to support your efforts. At least, that’s my strategy.

3 Likes

Thanks. How about, for about $25, reading and summarizing a book of my supporters’ choosing?

2 Likes

Sure! There’s no harm in giving it a try. Your supporters may like to have a hand in deciding for you what to review next.

3 Likes

I like that idea as it benefits the audience. With podcasting I see so many “rewards” that reward the creator (and not the audience). An example might be “If we get X amount of money I’ll buy a new microphone” well, that’s only a reward if you are using two tin cans and a string to create your content. Your book idea benefits the audience (and also gets them involved).

With crowdfunding people want or more of these:

1. More Content
  2. To steer the content
  3. To help make the content (be on your show)

And in your case you are giving them more content that is steered by the audience.

Some people think an “advertising free” version is an incentive, but if you’ve done your job right (and you have advertising) you’ve only allowed advertisers who match your audience (so when you remove them, it’s not like you’re reoving an annoyance, and in some cases they want you to being them back).

3 Likes

Hey David, hope you’re doing well!

I love what you’ve outline about content and crowdfunding, that’s something to definitely keep in mind as we navigate creating in the time of COVID19. There’s also tons of content out there that it’s easy to get lost, so knowing what your audience want is key. Thanks for this!

2 Likes