Hello, I'm building an app for drawing mind maps

Hello, I’ve been building the app called Abstraxo for the last year. It’s inspired by an idea of sharing information and knowledge in a visual and intuitive way.

I’m well aware that there are many similiar apps for drawing mind maps on the web already, but I believe that this one has the most potential and has the most intuitive user interface. I would love to further improve the app with new features and make it more practical.

In order to keep on doing so, I’ll need some help:

• tell me what you think of it, I’d like to hear your feedback
  • If you like the app consider buying me a coffe.

I’m currently working on introducing keyboard shortcuts

Here’s my BMC page, and here’s the app: abstraxo.com.

Also, if you want to read more about the app, here’s a more detailed article I wrote about it.

Thank you.

PS: the app currently works on all latest browsers, excluding Safari.

@filibit Welcome. I’ve been toying with mindmapping recently. I love the idea of personal wikis, but I’m still not convinced I’ve hit on a method that my aging mind can work with. yet. My brain is still very much wired pre-internet with linear thought.

Interesting… I’ve read some research into mind mapping done on students and the results are generally inconclusive, stating that the perceived efectiveness reported by students varies widely.

However I think that this is because we still haven’t found the right way of doing this (grouping the knowledge into visual structures), and because todays apps haven’t reached the level of practicality to allow the general public to make use of mind mapping.

What you said about aging mind is interesting. Something tells me tough, that mind mapping should be more easy regardless, even though you never used it, just like most people haven’t. I believe that, because it more closely resembles the way our brain works: in terms of grouping information and associations.

Anyway, I guess we’ll see in what direction this goes in the future.

@filibit : Here’s what I find fascinating: The internet has changed how brains are wired. Pre 1995, information was organized linearly (since Gutenburg): A book is read front to back, the encyclopedia is organized A-Z. The internet by contrast is organized in a much less rigid structure—like a web with one hunk of information connected by strands (links) to other hunks. So the reader can enter a site at page A or page Q. And through Wikipedia you can jump to dozens of pages of related content through links.

I was 39 in '95, so my brain was hard-wired linearly. My son (born in 1995) can think in a connected hunks much more easily than I can. I realized this early on and have forced myself to adapt, but the old linear pathways still lie underneath it all. I’ve pushed myself with a notes app called Mindscope and personal wikis like VoodooPad and Typelink on iPad. I also do my best to use links in my blog post to my other blog posts to make it more likely a wiki. As with your app, this is the future of notetaking.

So mindmapping—closer to a web-based organizational system—is easier for younger people to grasp. I know that soon enough, the concept of a page may be a complete anachronism.

What you just said was something I’ve been thinking about aswell lately, while developing this app. I agree, information was, and still is shared in a very linear way, usually written in a book, as you said. I also believe that one of the first examples of moving towards “grouping” of information into smaller and smaller chunks are chapters, and sub-chapters, and we’ve been stuck at this level ever since.

Yes, links are cool, but they still usually link to information structured in the same old linear way.

Also, I checked the mindscope app you mentioned, looks pretty cool.

1 Like