My coffee needs heating up

Hi,

My page is here and I’ve put lots of offers on it and a few things for my shop, and actually had up to 600 visitors to my page, but only one purchase.

I’m wondering if anyone would be kind enough to review my page or suggest anything else? I have to admit that I do find it hard asking for money, although there is a link on my blog.

Many thanks.

2 Likes

Hi there, thanks for being here! I love your concept so much, as someone who also dives into marketing, communication and writing as well. Do you share your page on social media? That might be a good thing to do and you can do that by creating Posts and then sharing them on social. That way, you’re not only updating your BMC page with useful tips and info about your podcast, but you’re also letting your audience know the value of your work. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hey Sheelagh,

A few thoughts:

1. I think you need to revise your copy to use the word “you” and tell the reader what you’ll do for them. Does it pass the What’s in it for me?

2. I think the word donation is a turnoff. Support doesn’t give off the same feel of charity or begging.

3. As @Pia mentioned sharing your content on social media is a big help. In my blog posts I try to convenience readers and link to more information or facilitate purchases. Then to promote that post on social, I shout out usernames of anyone (or anything) mentioned and influencers who I think would be interested in the content. This has paid off well: I’ve been asked to do guest posts of company blogs, conversed with the famous and even got my first coffee. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Support or contribute.

4 Likes

I like also like kindness and encouragement.

2 Likes

Hello,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I appreciate it and will implement those changes! I do find it hard ‘asking’ for money, but yes, i will share on social media. I’ve also added the link to my podcast host as well.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

Hi Pia,

Yes it does, thanks for the suggestions! I’ve made some changes to the page and shared it.

If you 'd like to sign-up for my newsletter, the link is here :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hey Sheelagh,

I think the point is to make the ask a soft one as they say in the nonprofit space. Just letting people know they can show you a little love and subtly suggesting they do is a good start.

1 Like

Yes, a soft ask is a good way of putting it, @WolfeWithAnE . On my website, I just say something like, “if you like what you see and would like to support my efforts, consider buying me a coffee…”

I’m not “begging” for anything, just saying that, if you feel compelled to help me in my efforts, then this is how to go about doing it. And, if not, then no problem, as I’ll just keep on keepin’ on. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks David. I will use that wording, if that’s OK with you!

2 Likes

Sure, go right ahead! I’m glad I could offer something useful. I hope it helps you out. :grin:

3 Likes

Another quick tip on phrasing your ask (another nonprofit term): Roman Mars of the 99% Invisible public radio podcast suggests that he’s been in error all along talking about pledging when he should have been using crowdfunding. Seems his support dollars have increased as a result.

3 Likes

Wow, isn’t that interesting. I’ll use that, too. Thanks!

2 Likes