My iPad podcasting set-up

Hi everyone,

I recently sat down and had an in depth testing session with my iPad and my mics to see if I really could get a good workable solution for podcasting with my tablet.

The good news, I found a setup and wrote about it if you are interested. I name the mic, adapter and software.

Here’s a link to blog post: https://www.peterwitham.com/ipad-podcasts
And here’s a link to the test recording: https://uibuzz.com/2020/04/24/uibuzz-podcast-episode.html

I’d love some feedback and to answer any questions, thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @pwitham,

I’m currently entertaining how-to video mic options, so this is very helpful. Apparently there are a lot of issues with audio-in, iOS 13 and iPad Pro. Strangely it appears that my older devices like the original Apogee Jam and Mic are working, but newer devices like the Line 6 Sonic Port VX and Apogee One aren’t. All these devices are certified to work by Apple which is causing real frustration for the manufacturers’ support departments. It’s long been recommended that any USB input device connect to iOS through a powered hub, but as you’ve stated, this didn’t fix the problem.

It seems Blue has abandoned iOS. I don’t see any of their current devices listed as compatible. Owning four Blue mics for iOS/USB , I feel your frustration.

2 Likes

Hi @WolfeWithAnE thanks for the comments, interesting that newer devices are also having the problem. I tested my Apogee Jam that I use for connecting my guitar and it still works as well.

As I understand it, Apple can adjust via software the power level sent out through the port, although I stress that’s from what I’ve read not what I know directly. So I wonder if that has anything to do with it, maybe they lower the output to improve battery life.

I thought for sure a powered hub would fix the problem so I was surprised at the out come.

I’m sure that Apple probably wants everyone to switch to Bluetooth for everything, which is fine for consumer usage but not people that produce content and need something a little more responsive and non-compressed.

I feel you’re pain too, I love Blue devices so I really hope they are re-grouping, but since they are owned by Logitech, I guess we will have to wait and see.

@pwitham I know in the early days of iPad the jack (still the 30 pin) put out 200 mA and many of the manufacturers produced their iOS mics to that standard. It’s entirely possible you’re right about the iPad trying to save power being the problem. I wonder if it’s as simple as some seemingly-unrelated setting somewhere on the iPad would kick the power up enough to run the mic? I’ll probably doing some playing in the next few weeks. I’ll keep you posted with what I find.

Just curious: Did you try Airplane Mode? Since this turns off the various cell/wifi transmitters and receivers, I wonder if that would be enough of a power boost?

Great question on the airplane mode, no I did not try that. But will give it a go tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

Looking forward to reading your results, The only thing I have found where someone says it worked was with Apple’s DV connector, but I’m not about to throw another $70 at yet another adapter.

1 Like

Just looked and that’s the only Apple USB-C connector I don’t own. I should just plug all my stuff in an see what works, even if for my own knowledge. Maybe even try to covert the 30-pin stuff for kicks.

So…I pulled out my old, trusty, 9-yr-old Samson Meteor mic and plugged it directly into the iPad Pro 2 with a generic USB-C to USB-Mini cable (no apple connector involved) and it worked fine. Also tried with the Apple USB to USB-C connector and it worked as well.

1 Like

I tried airplane mode today and no difference, still sees the Yeti as an output but not an input :frowning:

1 Like