What's your favorite blogging/website platform?

I’m quite confident in saying that most everyone here who uses Buy Me A Coffee administers some sort of website or blog, where they share their content. My question to you is, what is your favorite platform for serving web content?

I’ve used many over the years; like WordPress, Joomla, MediaWiki, and Flatpress. I’ve also used the blogging services of Google (Blogger), LiveJournal, and Vivaldi. But my favorite over the years, and the one I use now for my retro computing blog, https://www.my64.in.nf, is DokuWiki.

What makes it so appealing to me is in it’s simplicity. It doesn’t require much, on the server side, to run. it’s easy to back everything up, because all the information is stored in standard .txt files.

It’s also very fast and responsive; it’s very easy for web browsers to construct the web pages. I’ve noticed that, although very pretty and elaborate, many times a website using WordPress can become very slow because of all of the fancy rendering effects people use. I find that it can get frustrating visiting websites that are too elaborate.

I also like DokuWiki’s interface. It’s simple, clean and logical. It’s text editor may require you to learn a little bit on how to properly code your posts, but it isn’t very difficult to understand and doesn’t get in your way.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject (if anyone really cares). How about you? Do you have a preferred web platform?

3 Likes

For my website I use Weebly. But I’ll switch to Wix as Weebly has stopped adding new features since the acquisition by Square. I don’t need anything fancier as the site is mostly a hub. And besides, I love drag&drop tools.

As for the blog, I use Blogger. I’m a Google enthusiast, so this is a no brainer.

Both platforms have a couple of benefits in common.

They are fully in the cloud, a plus for someone like me who uses only Chrome OS on the desktop. And they both have skilled engineers fixing technical or security issues 24/7, without me having to lift a finger. This lets me focus on content and design rather than maintenance — or scrambling to fix a compromised site at the worst possible time, as sometimes happens with self-hosted WordPress.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @PaoloAmoroso

Yes, security is very important, indeed. The company I use to host my content also provides excellent security tools. And, when there’s an update to my web-apps, like DokuWiki, they notify me and provide a one-click method of updating my site. Very convenient.

I used to have my own web server, and I enjoyed maintaining all of that myself at one time. But now, I don’t have the desire to do all of that, so finding a reliable provider to do all of the heavy lifting is a real benefit.

I’ve heard of Wix and Weebly, but have never used them.

2 Likes

I use SquareSpace for my App’s website. It’s just easy to get it going, and I don’t have to deal with any updates.

For my personal blog/website, I use micro.blog. It’s very basic, but it works for my blog.

3 Likes

These days I’m spending a lot of time writing in Roam. It’s not a blogging platform, but a better way to write and organize ideas. Unlike other tools, I don’t have to think about a title or a category when I start writing (that’s not how our brain works either, I guess). I just write, and then Roam does its magic in the background by creating connections within my writing.

As you write more, you make these beautiful connections that you would’ve otherwise missed <3

3 Likes

Roam is an interesting concept. @jijo do you have a public blog or site made with Roam?

Micro.blog also lets you post without adding a title or categories.

3 Likes

I don’t - I use it more like a journal :slight_smile:

micro.blog looks very clean and simple - especially the discovery page!

5 Likes

A very interesting concept, @jijo .

2 Likes

Very nice, @appsbymw. I’ve never heard of micro.blog, but it looks like it does the job of providing a simple and straight forward way of blogging.

3 Likes

I tried Micro.blog and, although it has some nice features like Markdown support, it’s perhaps a bit too minimalistic. For example, unlike traditional blogging platforms and content management systems, if you upload an image you have to manually take care of uploading also the thumbnails at various resolutions, and adding the code to make it responsive.

2 Likes

For blogging, I’ve been using Wordpress for awhile and then switched over to Squarespace. Need to check out micro.blog!

3 Likes

With the improvements and additional features of the Buy Me A Coffee interface, here’s hoping that more people start to use it as their blogging platform, as well. I spent about an hour today visiting other creators and found no one who had any posts in their feed; apart from perhaps one post thanking someone for buying a coffee.

Since signing up, I’ve been adding the odd post to my account to help drive interest and traffic to my blog. But, with the great work the devs have been doing, I’m increasingly adding posts to my Coffee feed, as well as some Member’s Only entries to help add some value and incentive to buying a membership.

Anyway, my point is that, to me, Buy Me A Coffee is developing into a solid blogging service in it’s own right. It would be great to see more creators using it as such.

4 Likes

Hi David,

Thanks so much for sharing this–I love how you’re starting to see Buy Me A Coffee as a blogging platform. The Posts section was created with that purpose in mind so you can share your work, thoughts and other info in a way that lets you, other creators and your fans stay up to date with each other.

We’re also constantly improving publishing features and want to make Buy Me A Coffee as the new “follow me” where you not only see creators’ work but have the means to support them as well.

Here’s some creators who are utilizing the Posts section quite regularly that you may want to check out:

Happy blogging!

3 Likes

Thank you very much, @pia ! It’s great to see others starting to take advantage of what the BMC team are doing. I think there’s some really great potential here.

I’ll visit these creators for sure!

1 Like

Hi guys! If you’re looking for more secured platform or do you want your own platform for your personal blog you can contact me. I’m a developer and cybersecurity researcher / consultant. I can help you with :wink:

2 Likes

I have a love/hate relationship with self hosted Wordpress. I love it cause I know it. I hate it cause about once every two years I find myself having to restore something from a backup, or getting malware for no apparent reason. It seems to have a giant target on it’s back.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s usually the price of being popular on the Internet.

1 Like

I have been using WordPress for the longest time, I have a hosted version on MediaTemple. Over time I became so frustrated at the response speed from both the service and the app in general as my site became more complex and had more visitors so I looked around and became aware of GatsbyJS.

So here I am a year later having almost finished my transition of content and design and I could not be happier.

I have a very customized version of GatsbyJS running on netlify.com so that’s free hosting powered by a GitHub repository and all I have to do now is add a markdown file for new posts and let it run automatically to publish.

For comparison, my WordPress is https://peterwitham.com and my Gatsby static site is https://peterwitham.net. I should point out that I am a software developer so I heavily worked both apps to do my bidding :slight_smile:

I do also have a micro.blog site to play around with and see how I can make it work the way I want, I like the idea of the service but would not use it for a big site.

3 Likes

Those look great, Peter! I never heard of GatsbyJS before; very interesting.

I guess one of the reason why I gravitated to Dokuwiki is due to my IT background. I’ve spent most of it dealing with data, documentation, databases, and project planning. Content management is just one of those strange interests of mine. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I use Blot for my blog and info pages. You write your post and pages in Markdown, then drop them into a Dropbox folder and blot immediately publishes them. I write with Byword on iPad and can move a file into Dropbox from within the app. It’s a smooth workflow.

There are simple templates, but you have complete control over site design through CSS. A minimal knowledge of HTML is helpful to customize the templates, but not required to have a nice looking blog or site. For me this is a best-of-both-worlds for simplicity and intricate control when needed. So adding BMAC to my footer on only my blog posts required a couple simple lines of HTML.

David Merfield, the creator, is very responsive and bases his aggressive roadmap on the requests of users. At $20 a year, it’s the best publishing bargain around. I’m in my fourth year with Blot and have been very happy with it.

2 Likes