Why often creators are struggling

I’m sorry but what I got experience that often artist persons are struggling specially financially they want to create something they want to explore but they don’t have money to buy even instruments ( equipments )

I guess this buy me coffee proves my experience that yeah I’m right creative people even can’t afford COFFEE

5 Likes

Make reasonable goals. If you are into music or art find a way to own the “Means of Production.” This means you can always be productive. In our business we can produce a CD for 60 cents, with a professionally printed cover and cd imprint. Since we don’t hire other musicians the overhead is very low. Just completed our 129 project.
http://www.dennisandchristysoares.info/

Dennis- Hawaii,

3 Likes

In my opinion, the reason why creators struggle so much (financially) these days is because people in general don’t appreciate the work it takes for some of these creators to do what they do. In this age of mass production, corporate giants and “free trade” agreements between (what used to be) sovereign countries, people have been conditioned to expect everything to be sold at rock bottom prices.

Small, independent crafts-people can’t make a descent living selling their art for “cheap”. We don’t have the resources of Amazon, or Walmart, or Alibaba at our discretion. And rather than buying something that is hand crafted with care and has some real quality to it, people tend to go for the cheap and disposable.

This is why, I think, so many artists have a difficult time making a decent living just by doing their craft; they need to supplement in some other way, like holding other jobs or utilizing marketing tools, like Buy Me A Coffee.

5 Likes

There is a difference between being poor, and being broke. I’ve been broke (I filled for bankruptcy). I’m not sure if it was Napster or whatever but creating anything digital seems to come with the thought that it should be free. So the consumer is hesitant to put out any value unless you overflow them with value. You need to give them something they can’t get ANY place else. Even then, you have to ask - repeatedly - for support.

I also know that some creators embrace the “starving artist” mode and use anchor (free) and a Blue Yeti (bad mic for podcasting) because they are cheap. You don’t need to spend 1000 dollars, but you do need to spend money to compete. If I went bowling, I need to pay (it’s a hobby). The same for golf, movies, and yet when it comes to investing in our art (something that brings up happiness) we get frugal.

When I tell someone it might cost them $15/month to host a podcast and they scratch the back of their neck, sigh and say “Hmmm 15 bucks” I say to them, "It’s not that you shouldn’t podcast. It’s that you shouldn’t podcast NOW. If $15 is going to break your home budget then you don’t need a podcast - you need a job. Podcasting/Blogging all take time and dedication (and money). Go drive for Uber, deliver some pizza, and come back when you’re financially ready.

4 Likes

Hey David(s),

You hit on it: People expect stuff for free. It the current business model of most startups:

1. Give it away.
  2. Build an audience.
  3. Run out of venture capital.
  4. Start charging what it’s really worth.
  5. Your massive user base moves to a new startup offering the same thing for free.
  6. You go out of business.

That makes it hard to compete at anything when consumer expectations are high and willingness to pay for it is low.

Earn: My philosophy has always been that you can’t be afraid to pay for good tools. Nobody plays a cheap violin at the symphony. Getting good tools, real or virtual, may require working a little harder or scrimping elsewhere, but ultimately it pays off.

4 Likes

That’s my experience too. I have been creative and market my work and people do not realize that in order for us to continue it costs money. Financially it took me to owing money to credit to keep my creativity going. And then to top off when you do a market or venue you get asked to donate your items which cost you more money and then people don’t want to pay full price for your work. I need lots of coffee. Lol

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

Typical conversation:
Person: “What is your job?”
Creative: “I’m a musician/novelist/film maker/painter”
Person: “How cool! And what is your REAL job?”

Typical conversation (visual artist edition)
Person: “What is your job?”
Creative: “I’m a painter”
Person: “How cool! Can you draw me/my dog/cat for free?”

Society really needs a HUGE mindset shift… :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve heard the very same conversations many times. This is something that many in the Open Source / Linux community struggle with, as well.

I’ve used nothing but Linux on my modern day PCs and laptops since 2001. Since I gladly rely on this software, which so many talented people silently work on, I try to donate to these projects when ever I can. Millions of people all over the world use and rely on Open Source software, but only a small percentage of their users contribute financially to these projects. Many people just use the software for free and, if a particular project shuts down, they just move on to the next “free-to-them” product. There’s very little appreciation for the level of talent and commitment it takes to develop such wonderful applications that contribute so much to our modern technological lives.

Is there any forum for creators which supports them ? I guess not
If you are going to count me some names before you write those names just think either those are earning from creators ( to use their work ) or nonprofit just supporting creators

I write book reviews, and a lot of my books that I review are heavily dependent on my local library. I have come close to canceling my Kindle Unlimited, but only because a lot of my “to be read list” is there. So I am thankful for my local library to make it possible for me to continue my blog!

Also, I don’t feel like I have a “service” or “product” I can market/sell. I am just a lonely girl who loves to read and has no one to talk about my books with. I feel at a loss when it comes to marketing and networking.

Well, you never know. If your book reviews happen to attract the attention of the right author or publisher, you could always offer to do book review for one of their upcoming releases for a small fee. I see nothing wrong in asking for that, especially if they come to you. Sometimes, you may even get support from individuals who particularly found a review you did helpful.

Just recently, I was happily surprised by someone who bought me a coffee for the review I did on a new all-in-one stereo. Apparently, my review helped them make the decision to buy one for themselves and they thanked me by buying me a coffee. I was very surprised and grateful.

So, it does happen. :smiley: The difficult part, I think, is getting exposure to the right audience. And, this day and age, it needs to be a very large audience for the odds to be in your favor.

2 Likes

I must admit I have no idea. Most of these forum earn some money from creators, their work isn’t for free either. Nothing is for free.

The challenge for me in the past is wading through a sea (!!) of internet content (where I am not recognizable because of the sheer volume of information) :scream: :scream: :scream:
How does one stand out?

Here, on this platform, we have come on board for the same/similar reasons. We need support!! That means that for the vast majority, we will have to source that support outside of our BMC community pool.

It’s great to know what we each do in this community, :sparkling_heart: so that we can offer support here first if we need a specific product or service (& occasionally even if we don’t :relaxed:). However, on reading some of the posts, we need that support.

The question remains:
How do we stand out!! with all that is out there? how do we brand? What are the best tools to assist us?

I know there’s an answer. I just haven’t found it yet!!! :laughing: :wink:

Happy creating my fellow BMC peeps!

Me pasa que esto me ayuda a seguir con mis estudios en la universidad

hi Dan
Welcome :wave:
I am not sure what you wrote, as the forum is in English
(you may have to try a translator eventually to reach more people / ‘mas gente’).

I’m assuming that you are here because you need help with your studies?

What are you studying? Looking forward to seeing you around the community
Good luck!

I think David describes the problem pretty good here. Volume over artistic appreciation and quality is the way the World sadly thinks at the moment.

I say at the moment hoping that the thought process reverses at some point in the future and appreciation of individuality returns.

2 Likes

We can always hope. Maybe with all that’s going on with the Covid pandemic, some day people will to turn to local markets and talent more if borders become more restrictive and products become more difficult to obtain.

We have a small flock of laying hens and we tried selling our surplus eggs to others in our local community. But, they’d rather go for the cheaper, yet less nutritious, grocery store eggs. We invest a lot of time and effort in giving our hens a safe and happy environment, where they can free range and hunt out around our property for a natural diet. And we supplement their diet with locally grown grain and layer ration in the winter. I spend a lot of time with them, ensuring each one of them is as content as possible. When we sold at the Farmer’s Market, we asked $5.00 for a dozen eggs; just two dollars more than the grocery store. Too expensive, according to most people, for eggs from chickens that (what they think) we just let run around our yard and require no work on our part to keep.

Kind of disappointing, but oh well. We know that we’re eating the most healthiest food that we can provide ourselves, so we’ll continue raising our birds for ourselves. But it just goes to show how the public at large have no idea of how much work goes in to producing certain (high quality) things.

2 Likes

It is a similar story with software, the great drive to the bottom price of 99 cents for an app makes it almost impossibly sustainable for anyone that is not backed by a bunch of investors looking to cash in on a potential buyout.

I find it very sad that independence is not rewarded like it should be.

2 Likes

Incredible :no_mouth:

surprising given the amount of talk on fake food today & healthier options to combat growing illness as a result of that.

I suppose that Value is no longer a factor for the majority. Cheap is it :flushed:

There are people out there who appreciate value (albeit a few) but I do wonder about how to source them and then subsequently connect with them.

The beat goes on …

1 Like

I was just thinking about including both a lower end price range as well as a higher price range - where applicable of course (although I honestly don’t think we should ‘have to’ :unamused: ).

However, this might help capture a wider net of the market and also expose our ‘feature’ products.

Just musing over options :thinking: