Work from home?

We’re living in strange times right now and I’m thinking: self-quarantine means I get to do more of the work I love. Fellow creators, got any resources you want to share with others to make working from home a lot more viable, doable? Everyone’s talking about social distancing but we all know that we need communities to thrive. Looking forward to your suggestions!

2 Likes

Hi, @pia! This is a very timely topic. Many people are now having to discover how to do their day to day jobs remotely and from home.

I’m not sure if this is the sort of thing/suggestion you had in mind, but I’ve used the services of Mibbit.com to create my own private IRC for text based communication with a group of people. It’s really easy to set up and it works with any standard web browser (so no special software needed). You can either use the free service, or pay for an ad-free account. All you need to do is send your invitees the URL to your chat session and you’re off. If you have a web page, you can even embed the chat window on your own page, if you like.

2 Likes

@pia last year I retired early to help provide 24-hour care for a family member. So these days I find myself being both a geographical hermit and a virtual socialite. So my self-quarantined life is no different than my life was before CV.

As part of my wonderfully-convoluted career path as a writer and content creator, I freelanced for about seven years (and have had side hustles since I was six). My best advice to anyone who suddenly finds themselves working from home is to take full advantage of this new freedom and let your work and side hustle define your schedule, not the other way around.

When freelance writing for a year-and-a-half-long project, I’d find myself awake at 4am and just start working. Next thing I knew it was noon and I’d already put in a productive day’s work and could move onto other things.

When I quit my job in radio to print and sell a successful cookbook, I’d split shifts and use mornings to talk to the printer, bookstores, do interviews etc. I’d play with the kids during the afternoon. Then at night when everyone went to bed, I’d pack books for mailing while watching a couple movies.

In both examples where I let the work mold the schedule at the speed of life, I was a lot more productive than when I worked rigid 9-5 jobs. If I had blocked off a rigid workday (when all the little interruptions seem to happen) I would have gotten much less done.

If you can let go of those confines of the clock, you suddenly have the freedom of 24 hours in a day and not an 8 hour clump in the middle of it that squeezes out the life of you on either end of it.

4 Likes

A useful meta-resource is the Remote Weekly newsletter:

The Remote Weekly goes out every Wednesday and brings to you original content, product tips and latest stories around remote working.

3 Likes

I’m freelance now and it is convenient for me to work from the comfort of my own desk lol. Also, when you are in remote work BMC is the best place to help you in sustaining your needs monthly by means of coffee.

3 Likes